I got this recipe from my friend. She told me how to do it, so I tried to do exactly to the "T" and it turned out to be very nice. It's a kind of north Indian "Kadi" and looks the same too. But surely it's different from kadi. It's Bagharwali Dahi Phulkiyan. Meaning, Pakoras in Seasoned Yogurt Sauce. This goes well with naan.
Yogurt 3 cups beat the yogurt to a creamy texture without adding water
Besan 1 cup
Onions 1 medium finely chopped
Red Chilli Powder 3 tsps.
Coriander Leaves 3 tbsps.
Green Chillies 2 finely chopped
Salt to taste
Garlic 3 flakes
Dry Red Chilli 1
Curry Leaves few
Baking Soda 1/4 tsp.
Oil to deep fry
- Keep the beaten yogurt aside. In a blender, add garlic flakes, red chilli, small amount of water and make into a paste. Add this paste to yogurt and add salt as per taste. Mix well.
- Now add little water to yogurt mixture and combine well. Keep it aside.
- In a wide bowl, take besan, baking soda, salt and add small amount of water to make a batter.
- To this batter, add onions, green chillies, 2 tbsps. coriander leaves, red chilli powder and mix well. Add enough water to make into slightly thicker consistency to make pakoras.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Once oil is hot, drop small dollops of the batter from side and deep fry on medium heat till golden brown.
- Once they turn golden brown, take out from the oil and put them carefully in the yogurt sauce directly.
- In a pan, heat oil and add red chillies, curry leaves. Add this seasoning to the yogurt pakora mixture.
- Garnish with 1 tbsp. coriander leaves and serve Bagharwali Dahi Phulkiyan with hot naan.